America’s restaurant portion sizes are out of control and our waistlines are showing it! Do you know how many servings are in a pasta entree at your favorite chain Italian restaurant? Four! Some helpful tips to navigate eating out:
1. Do Your Homework: Look up the restaurant’s website and check out the nutritional info. Make the decision at home, not when you’re hungry and everyone else wants you to hurry up and order.
2. Call ahead and ask if they can accommodate vegans, vegetarians or whatever dietary restrictions you follow. I’ve been automatically put right through to the chef! He was so kind, said he prepares vegan dishes often and has some regulars that are vegan also.
3. Ask the server to box half the entree before it is brought to your table or split it with someone at your table.
4. Order an appetizer as your entree.
5. Ask lots of questions. How is it prepared? Ask for no oil or butter, cheese, or sauce, etc. Restaurants want return business.
6. Look for ingredients used in different dishes and ask the chef to use the individual ingredients in one dish for you.
7. Be pleasant to your server. They want to please you.