I’ve been wanting to make these for a long time, but never had raw & undutched cocoa powder or Medjool dates. I finally followed my own rule and USED WHAT I HAVE! I used Dole pitted dates, Hershey’s Unsweetened Cocoa, black chia seeds and whole, raw almonds instead of exactly what the recipe calls for.
I didn’t bother to make them into bars. I just do what I always do: Divide the number of servings into custard cups, figure out the Weight Watcher points plus with their recipe builder (I came up with 5 PP per serving), and store individual portions in fridge. Much easier! And individual portions are much easier to control yourself with!
This tasted like nutty, chocolaty brownie crumbles. MMMMMMM. Laura
Makes 10 bars
Prep time: 15 minutes
1 1/2 cups pitted plump Medjool dates (Warning: pinch each date carefully to be sure the pit has been removed! An errant pit will stop your food processor cold!)
1/3 cup raw usweetened (& undutched) cocoa powder (I like Penzey’s “High Fat” Un-Dutched the best)
1/3 cup whole chia seeds, such as Salba (use the white ones–it looks prettier)
3/4 tsp vanilla extract, optional
1 cup raw walnut pieces
Oat flour for dusting
1. Place dates in bowl of food processor; puree until thick paste forms. If the dates are on the dry side, you may need to add small amounts of warm water to moisten them up–and make it easier to mix in the other ingredients. But, be careful to do this slowly, and not overdo it.
2. Add cocoa powder, chia seeds, and vanilla, if using. Pulse until all ingredients are combined.
3. Add walnuts; pulse until nuts are finely chopped and well distributed through date mixture.
4. Spread large sheet of wax paper on work surface, and dust with oat flour, if using
5. Transfer date mixture to wax paper, and press mixture into 1/2 inch thick rectangle. Wrap tightly with the waxed paper, and then with foil. Chill overnight.
6. Unwrap block, and cut into 10 bars. Dust edges and sides with oat flour, if using, to prevent sticking. Wrap each bar in waxed paper & store in the refrigerator.
Nutritional Information, 1/10 of the recipe.
Raw Chocolate-Chia Energy Bars
Serving Size: 1 serving
|Amount Per Serving|