Posts tagged ‘fast food’
Don’t let ’em fool ya.
|Five Worst “Healthy” Fast-Food Kids Meals|
|Chick-fil-A Kids Grilled Nuggets Kids Meal||Contains the same amount of cholesterol as a Big Mac.|
|McDonald’s Cheeseburger Happy Meal||Contains more sodium than 13 orders of McDonald’s kids fries.|
|Sonic Kids’ Jr. Burger Meal||Contains more sugar than two Twinkies.|
|Burger King Hamburger Kids Meal||Contains almost as much cholesterol as six slices of pork bacon.|
|Denny’s Build Your Own Jr. Grand Slam||Contains almost 100 more milligrams of sodium than the government recommends children consume at breakfast.|
By: John Lundy, Duluth News Tribune
Eating fast food can lead to a fast exit, University of Minnesota researchers contend. And it’s as true in the East as it is in the West.
School of Public Health researchers found that people who consume fast food even once a week increase their risk of dying from coronary heart disease by 20 percent in comparison to people who avoid fast food, a news release from the university’s Academic Health Center said. The risk increases by 50 percent for those who eat fast food two to three times each week and by 80 percent for those who eat fast food four times or more per week.
Eating fast food two or more times a week also increased the risk of developing Type 2 diabetes by 27 percent.
Read the rest of the article here: http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/event/article/id/236129/group/homepage/
I’d get rid of the bacon and milk. I’d use brown rice and a non-dairy milk. I love So Delicious Unsweetened Almond+Plus with 5g protein.
There’s also a book out called Eat Vegan on $4.00 a Day: A Game Plan for the Budget Conscious Cook by Ellen Jaffe Jones http://www.amazon.com/Eat-Vegan-4-00-Day-Conscious/dp/1570672571/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1303967534&sr=8-1
Just think about how much extra money you’d have at the end of the day/month/year if you weren’t buying fast food or meat or processed junk. Plus, how much healthier would you be? How much would your cholesterol, blood pressure, weight, pants size go down?
America’s restaurant portion sizes are out of control and our waistlines are showing it! Do you know how many servings are in a pasta entree at your favorite chain Italian restaurant? Four! Some helpful tips to navigate eating out:
1. Do Your Homework: Look up the restaurant’s website and check out the nutritional info. Make the decision at home, not when you’re hungry and everyone else wants you to hurry up and order.
2. Call ahead and ask if they can accommodate vegans, vegetarians or whatever dietary restrictions you follow. I’ve been automatically put right through to the chef! He was so kind, said he prepares vegan dishes often and has some regulars that are vegan also.
3. Ask the server to box half the entree before it is brought to your table or split it with someone at your table.
4. Order an appetizer as your entree.
5. Ask lots of questions. How is it prepared? Ask for no oil or butter, cheese, or sauce, etc. Restaurants want return business.
6. Look for ingredients used in different dishes and ask the chef to use the individual ingredients in one dish for you.
7. Be pleasant to your server. They want to please you.